collapse

* Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Recent Posts

Author Topic:  Holding an otome panel at an anime convention  (Read 6219 times)

Washu_Takahashi

• Cafe Addict
  • Liked: 2
  • Otome Queen
    • Share Post
    • http://www.facebook.com/washu.takahashi
  • Mobile Device OS: Android
on: January 14, 2015, 03:12:21 PM
Hello all! I've decided the love of otome needs to be shared with lovable strangers. I've never actually run a panel at a convention before, but I think I understand otome pretty well, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Basically, my experience lies heavily in otome-based-anime, and free games for Android, so that will be the bulk of my presentation. But the panel lasts for an hour, and I don't want to ramble about each for 30 minutes. I've also played Hakuoki on the 3DS, so I'll touch on that.

The rest is where I need your guys' help! What topics do you think could be touched on? I'm more than happy to dig into things you suggest so I'm a little more knowledgeable for them for the panel. I've still got a few months to plan this out. I definitely want to touch on BL/yoai games, and I've only played DMMD for a while so need some suggestions there. Some suggestions for PC gamers (all I really know of is DMMD and Hatoful Boyfriend which I intend to play before the panel xD) or any other format besides Android/3DS would be helpful, but I want to stick to things that are available in English. Good places to look for translations maybe? Anything else at all you can think of!

I do intend to touch on supporting the industry, whether through Hakuoki for the 3DS/PSP (which I believe is the only otome available for purchase in English so far that's not on Android/iOS), free/paid phone games, and otome anime. We're not going to get more otome in the US if we don't show translators we're willing to pay for it, simple as that.

Will also mention the typical character types and give some examples, as well as mentioning that some of our favorite types would make horrible real-life boyfriends xD

So yeah, that's all I've got so far. More loose ideas than a strict plan so far. Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated ^^

Linkback: https://kokoro-cafe.net/index.php?topic=1368.0
Destiny Ninja - LT4CeyJs1q
Ninja Assassin - NGkbYLK3Sw
Ninja Love - JB40ZqEyAs
Be My Princess: Party - f583188d - 310591

washutakahashi.tumblr.com

Advertise Here

Revy

• Cafe Lover
  • Liked: 0
    • Share Post
  • Mobile Device OS: Android & iOS
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:36:21 PM
Magic letters are "vndb".

But if you want some PC games...
Yu-Jin-Bo: The Bodyguards - this is the very first otome game which were translated on English as I know (back in 2006, and it was official translation!). It's a story about a girl getting in the ancient Japan in place of some "hime". She travels with several bodyguards, falls in love in one of them and switch back in our time... maybe)) I doubt you can purchase this game somewhere at the moment because it's nearly 10 years old!)

Sweet Fuse: At Your Side - this is PSP-game from Otomate. Fully translated and available to purchase in psn for Vita.

Dandelion - Wishes brought to you - - this otome came from Korea. You can find it in Steam on English. One girl take home several animals, but those animals turned to be attractive guys...

Nameless ~ The One Thing You Must Recall ~ - one more Korean game (by same author, btw)

dUpLicity - two games in this series

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club - it's not otome, because there is no romance here, but you play as a girl. This game is purely about friendship and school

There is a very little otome games outside mobile platform and most of them are indie games made on English, not translated on it from Japanese. Mostly they aren't pure VN-type, but more like date-sims or raising sims.

Hanako Games
- The Royal Trap
- Magical Diary: Horse Hall
- Long Live The Queen
- Fatal Hearts
- Date Warp
Black Chicken Studios
- 1931: Scheherazade at the Library of Pergamum
Zeiva Inc
- Other Age
- X-Note
- Area-X
Winter Wolves
- Love & Order
- The Flower Shop: Summer In Fairbrook
- Loren The Amazon Princess
- Roommates
- Always Remember Me
- Nicole
sakevisual
- RE: Alistair++
- The Flower Shop: Winter in Fairbrook
- Backstage Pass
Others:
- The Knife of the Traitor
- RE: Prince of Nigeria
- Halloween Otome
- Cinders
(I was pretty lazy, so skipped some games in this list)

Most of PC games above are free or available to purchase in Steam or at least on their devs' sites.

Two games are different from others: Korean "Star Project" and French "My Candy Love". They are browser MMOs.

If you want to mention unofficial translations then notable will be
- Starry ☆ Sky ~in Spring~
- Queen of Darkness 2: The Second Reproduction
- Princess Nightmare
- Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo!! (its DS verion was translated)
Once Upon a Love Tale (Android): zgpANt
7 Hotties, All My Husbands (iOS): vQKHh3

Washu_Takahashi

• Cafe Addict
  • Otome Queen
    • Share Post
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:54 PM
Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely look into all of those. A couple of them I've at least heard the names of, so that's a good start for me xD

Aquitaine

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:57:59 PM
This sounds like an awesome idea! I wish you the very best luck on the presentation.

Other topics related to what you've posted are:
-how the different games work and how they make money differently (normal voltage / versus the party version)
-What makes a good story and good characters on otome games. -The different kind of troupes there are (princes/office lady/fantasy/contract marriages..).
-How it creates a community outside the games and inside.
- Why we like them (lots of boyfriends without having to deal with them 24/7  :whistle: :santahat:).

It all depends if you want to make it more serious or just explain to people what are otome games and why we love them.

For the presentation adding caps from the games could work to create discussion and make it funnier.

But again this sounds awesome.  :smile:

Washu_Takahashi

• Cafe Addict
  • Otome Queen
    • Share Post
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27:05 PM
I want the panel to be informative, but I also want it to be fun of course! Nothing worse than going to a panel and it turns out to just be a lecture...

-Definitely going to talk about paid vs non (buying paid routes versus being like me and cracking and blowing way too much money on "free" games xD) Doing to touch on games that have ranking events too.
-Probably won't talk about good stories/characters since that's very subjective. But definitely plan on mentioning princes/ninjas/demons and tsundere/goody-goody/mature/young, etc.
-Definitely going to mention they can go to kokoro cafe or tumblr for help/friends.
-Man, are virtual boyfriends convenient. None of them complain about how I'm dating 8 other men at the same time xD

Also thinking that at the end, after I present the different tropes and character types, we'll probably have a debate on which character type is the best xD (TSUNDERE. ALWAYS PICK THE TSUNDERE)

Going to start making a rough draft of a powerpoint and I'll post it here so people can comment on it if they'd like ^^ Any and all feedback/suggestions are welcome xD

Aquitaine

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:40 PM
About good stories and characters I meant more general terms like they need to be developed. A pretty face is not enough.

I know that sometimes there are rankings inside the games like recently in MFWP can be used to compare with the jap market and the rest.

I forgot to mention that the fashion and collecting components of the games are very important especially in the "free" games. That deserves a mention I think. So pretty things are important too

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 38
  • Stalker of the Unseelie Court... Laughing at Smut
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 10:26:32 PM
By a panel about otome games, which convention will be graced with such joy~? Plan on plugging the forum? *winkwink*

The panel should also dispel some misconceptions about this genre. I think that you should introduce with a gross picture of fangirling from WataMote. The first thing people think of when I start obnoxiously exclaiming about otome games is that these are "gal games," or bishoujo games that give women feels. Then when I mention a girl dating characters, they think Hatoful Boyfriend. =w= Also nice to mention that it is very true that you can go all free on FTP games and keep it that way with self-control.

I'll stab all over, but perhaps contact some of the OEL otoge developers for some ideas and background. Sake Visual people are usually pretty quick at answering on places like their blog, and you can get to some other people through their art accounts, like Zeiva's group. You can probably also snoop around Lemmasoft for small or ongoing projects, and there are other otome gaming forums focused more on the non-mobile console games, some which have particularly in-depth polls and really thorough but publicly hidden discussions about R18+ otome games.

When you go into games, it is probably better to categorize by company/developer, starting with the big Japanese names for non-mobiles. Like mentioned above, VNDB is a good and easy place to dig. And I'll just wag this around since I finally updated it. You can have a portion for games/anime to expect in the near future, and stuff that had been recently released. The history of otome games with Angelique...! (JK, but they really were like the gateway to the otome games of these days)

As for Japan-based mobile apps (hah, had this typed out long ago for something different):
Arithmetic
CYBIRD
D3PUBLISHER (Forbidden Romance)
Faith Wonderworks (none translated)
karapet
KOYONPLETE
M&Aonline (Forbidden Love, English)
NTT Solmare (The Shall We Date? brand)
OKKO
roseVeRte
Voltage (and Voltage Entertainment USA)

I wonder if a knowledgeable person will attend the panel and speak of the dead GREE apps.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:14:18 PM by Aiwethryne »
Click for my game codes
(Or go to my forum profile bio)

...REEEAAAAHH.

Washu_Takahashi

• Cafe Addict
  • Otome Queen
    • Share Post
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:20:42 PM
I actually got the idea since there were two otome panels at Anime Central last year xD I only managed to get to one of them though, but it had a good amount of information I didn't know since the girl running it was mostly into buying routes for her phone. Didn't help me much though since why buy a route when I can play the same game for free? xD (Until I crack and end up spending money anyways, but by that point I know I love the characters)

My panel will be at Anime Midwest ^^ (assuming it's accepted, but I'm friends with the VP, so shouldn't be a problem xD)

I want to keep the content fairly light, not too serious, but I'll definitely mention the misconceptions. And dividing them by company is a good idea. So far I was planning on dividing by platform, but platform then company within platform sounds good.

This is what I submitted for my panel.

Title: All About Otome: You have HOW MANY boyfriends?!

Description that would go in the guidebook: Ever wondered what it would be like to have multiple boyfriends that exist only for you and expect nothing in return? Come venture into the land of otome, dating sims designed for girls, and find your perfect match! Includes a discussion of otome games for your PC and mobile devices, anime based on otome, and the types of characters you're likely to fall in love with. (Ninjas, Demons, and Princes, oh my!)

More in detail description of what I plan to go over:
Will start with a brief introduction of "What is otome?"
Will cover the following topics:
- PC Games
- Android/iOS games (Free to play and paid routes)
- 3DS/PSP/PSV/PS3 games
- Where to find fan-translated Japanese games
- Anime based on otome
- Briefly touch on BL games/sports anime
- Types of characters (ninja/demons/princes/etc and tsundere/goody-goody/mature/childish/ect)
Will include questions/discussion and a debate on "best" character type if time allows.

Hopefully my title and description doesn't offend anyone here, it's meant to make the panel sound fun xD

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 03:15:03 PM
Some nitpicky things on my part. "Otome games" or "otoge" are the more accurate, full terms for the sake of the modifier. While I know that most people find it synonymous to simply say "otome," in my mind, it wildly bothers me. But everything bothers me.

Regarding misconceptions, BL/yaoi games are NOT otome games. They are two separate entities, but people dump them in the same jar. Of course, the only difference is that one has a female protagonist, and the other has a male protagonist. Thinking on that, though, Meine Liebe was the only otome game-based anime that simply cut the girl from the story. LOL

Washu_Takahashi

• Cafe Addict
  • Otome Queen
    • Share Post
Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 03:22:12 PM
I do intend to make it clear that BL/yaoi games are NOT otome, but want to mention them just cause some people who enjoy otome would enjoy BL games as well ^^ And my co-panelist is a die-hard yaoi fan so letting her have 5 minutes to shine and rant about DMMD and gay swimmers and basketball players lol.

OtomeBabe

• Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 35
    • Share Post
Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 11:08:15 PM
aww talking about otome and yaoi but showing no love for yuri  :whistle:

Maybe you can also talking about crowdfunding.  Take example about Clannad, despite controversial about The Guardian's Spell, Clannad has reached the funding goal within a day, pledged by people who want to play it in english.

Washu_Takahashi

• Cafe Addict
  • Otome Queen
    • Share Post
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 11:23:53 PM
aww talking about otome and yaoi but showing no love for yuri  :whistle:

Maybe you can also talking about crowdfunding.  Take example about Clannad, despite controversial about The Guardian's Spell, Clannad has reached the funding goal within a day, pledged by people who want to play it in english.

If you have yuri games to suggest I'd be happy to include them! If you could name a few of the more popular ones that can be found in english (offical or fan) that'd be really helpful since I know like nothing about yuri xD

I thought I'd heard something about Clannad and crowdfunding and I just googled it and wow...to raise 140k in less than 24 hours is amazing. I'll definitely mention that. Makes me wonder if things like UtaPri and other otomes that turned into popular anime might have a chance at something like that...will definitely be digging into this topic more.

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 03:01:06 AM
Even though I read and used to write a whole glob of fem slash stuff, I never really played GL games, much less bothered to find any translated into English. OEL GL VNs I saw before were pretty crappy. Other than that, I was really only aware of Japanese games that simply contained yuri... or were MFF or harem material. Most actual GL/yuri games I know of are the princess + tentacles type. Err... You shouldn't add that. Constantly reminds me how exploited that genre is. It is hard to think of anything super sweet or cute outside of manga.

Well, although they are usually friendship routes, you can consider the routes in otome games that go for the female. *keeps glancing at Vivaldi*
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:22:13 AM by Aiwethryne »

OtomeBabe

• Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 35
    • Share Post
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 09:04:55 PM
Hanako always has at least one yuri route in every game they made so far beside Date Wrap. Winter Wolves has Heilen 3: Sea Maidens. I'm not sure if you can also romance a girl in Loren. As for jap yuri, I'm not the big fan of it. I forget the title but if you goggle it, it always comes on top of list. Reading the summary is enough to turn my interest into zero. I heard Aoishiro (not rate as +18) is good but haven't played it yet. I have too much backlog, keep bigger and bigger due to sale and bundle offers  :sweat:

Anyway, localized VN will be release this year so far I know The Grisaia Trilogy, Ozmania, an english ver of yaoi game No, Thank You!!!

Rant aside, I'm still waiting desperately for the localized version of The Cloud Dream of the Nine. NeoAlice, if you read this, do remember...we're still waitiiiing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:06:42 PM by OtomeBabe »

Share via facebook Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

wink
~Anime Adaptations of Otome Games~

Started by Aiwethryne on Otome Game Discussions

115 Replies
Last post November 07, 2016, 08:14:47 PM
by Sakuragawa
xx
[News] Kenka Bancho Otome Anime Out Now on Crunchyroll

Started by kokoro-cafe on Otome Game News

0 Replies
Last post May 10, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
by kokoro-cafe
xx
[News] Scared Rider Xechs Otome Game to be Adapted into TV Anime

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 04:13:03 AM
by Bambikins
xx
[News] Kenka Bancho Otome Anime Coming Spring 2017

0 Replies
Last post December 13, 2016, 02:28:55 AM
by kokoro-cafe
xx
Last Anime You Watched From The Start To End?

Started by Shinigami on General Discussions

40 Replies
Last post November 21, 2015, 06:14:39 PM
by Sakuragawa

* Cafe Chat

Refresh History
  • Keyra: it's a shame its no longer active
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:45 AM
  • Keyra: Hi i just rediscovered this again
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:38 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Wow! Can't believe there's still visitors
    August 22, 2023, 12:08:14 AM
  • Lilwyn: Stopping by to say Hello! :)
    August 18, 2023, 05:44:07 AM
  • SushiMartyr: nonetheless, I feel satisfied with the job I’ve done
    June 30, 2023, 03:15:00 PM
  • SushiMartyr: (fr tho, Tomo-kun is my one and only husbando)
    June 30, 2023, 03:14:11 PM
  • SushiMartyr: It doesn’t seem like anyone’s still here, so no one’s probably around to see me defend my best boi from Scarlet Fate xD
    June 30, 2023, 03:13:37 PM
  • SushiMartyr: Hi
    June 30, 2023, 07:20:37 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Hello to anyone who's still here in 2023  :wave:
    March 27, 2023, 03:29:52 AM
  • Godingame: Is there a community somewhere for the cinderella contract?
    March 01, 2022, 07:22:30 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Another new year, it's 2021. Hope everyone is healthy and well.
    March 28, 2021, 07:45:11 PM
  • KoronoChoi: dandelion wishes
    April 18, 2020, 05:04:30 PM
  • Sakuragawa: The last post was from 2018 and now it is 2020... Hello everyone, hope you are well  :rofl:
    January 05, 2020, 07:31:10 AM
  • Amavanna: Hey I'm looking for some Invites for the games I play can you guys add me, my codes are Angel or devil: HwTcTPa4V2 Hero in Love: B9J4rQDvK2 Never look back: Jf7LG1Xq7c Cant say no: GEYDwJpPju Lost island: GijCVsxGSi Mononoke Kiss: LuyDJDxHhG Magic Sword: Kq2heLxqqn
    October 02, 2018, 02:13:37 PM
  • Amavanna: Hey new here everyone doing ok?
    October 02, 2018, 02:00:30 PM
  • Lilwyn: Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I last stopped by, how is everything?
    October 02, 2018, 03:33:45 AM
  • HakuokiScientia: Is there a CG or a walkthrough for Is it love Peter here? Haven't found around when I googled it :(
    October 02, 2018, 01:35:21 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: @harumia Hi! Welcome to KC :) How are you doing?
    September 11, 2018, 02:53:40 PM
  • harumia: Hi hi! I'm fairly new here (tho I've known KC for years). How are you all?
    September 06, 2018, 06:21:03 PM
  • Mortis: destiny ninja touch my heart spin-off walkthrough
    July 26, 2018, 08:11:25 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Thank you! I checked the group's website and found it! I'm so happy I finally find a decent walkthrough ^^
    June 01, 2018, 02:03:59 PM
  • Sakuragawa: @BloodyDagger after a bit of Googling, it seems that a walkthrough should be included should be included with the English patch? The person/group that's making the the patch linked a JP walkthrough too.
    May 31, 2018, 09:20:56 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Hello, i'm new here, does anyone know where I could get a walkthrough for the pc game aniversary no kuni no alice? I've been searching far and wide and I still can't find it ....
    May 31, 2018, 02:17:19 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Ikemen Revolution is out for Android and iOS! [link]
    May 31, 2018, 12:14:47 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:33:14 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    March 05, 2018, 06:40:42 PM
  • Faith@p: Hii
    March 02, 2018, 12:25:09 PM
  • Faith@p: Hi
    March 02, 2018, 12:24:51 PM
  • Stulluna: Hello, is anyone online?
    March 01, 2018, 03:05:09 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Actually, just to clarify, are you talking about the paid version or the party version?
    February 14, 2018, 05:02:08 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: No, sorry :(
    February 13, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
  • cain0425: if that case is there any tips you could give on getting the super happy ending for the game?
    February 07, 2018, 09:32:37 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Possibly but unlikely anytime soon :(
    February 06, 2018, 01:50:34 PM
  • cain0425: will there ever be update on season 3 or season 4 walkthrough of My Forged Wedding you guys only have up to season 2.
    February 06, 2018, 02:37:51 AM
  • RukiKei: Enchanted in the moonlight
    January 18, 2018, 08:03:36 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    January 16, 2018, 06:00:42 PM
  • Emi Nguyen: Hi
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:54 AM
  • Emi Nguyen: Emi Nguyen
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:45 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Happy Holidays too Sakuragawa!
    December 05, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Holidays!  :wave:
    November 23, 2017, 02:47:48 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Made some great memories here and met some nice people.
    November 11, 2017, 03:31:16 AM
  • Sakuragawa: I know it's not Thanksgiving yet, but I want to say that I'm thankful for the existence of KC.  :heart:
    November 11, 2017, 03:29:54 AM
  • angle: hi
    November 05, 2017, 09:55:07 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Halloween ehe
    November 01, 2017, 12:53:05 AM
  • Dawn Skinner: Contract marraige
    September 26, 2017, 08:51:33 PM
  • Satharn: :)
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:31 PM
  • Satharn: Hey there
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:16 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: What game is ths for?