collapse

* Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Recent Posts

Poll

What do you usually name the protagonist?

Default name
5 (3.9%)
Your real name
24 (18.9%)
Alternative name
40 (31.5%)
Based on your real name
23 (18.1%)
Based on your existing moniker
4 (3.1%)
Based on an existing fictional character's name
16 (12.6%)
Mixture of the above
15 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Author Topic:  What do you usually name the protagonist?  (Read 11110 times)

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 38
  • Stalker of the Unseelie Court... Laughing at Smut
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
  • Mobile Device OS: Android & iOS
on: January 10, 2015, 09:02:22 PM
I often notice players on FTP games use the pure default, or they go by whatever anime/game character is popular at the time, so it makes me wonder what they are thinking when they settle on a name.

By "alternative name," I mean a completely different name that has nothing to do with any of your previous names. A random name pops into your mind, or you use the name of someone you are aware about.

I never use my real name when naming the MC because I do not identify myself as the actual girl in the story. I see everything as a third-person party, even if the story is written in first-person. When I am playing one of the social games, I normally use a first name similar to my usual handle (Aiwei ~ Aiwethryne) to make it easier for people to find me, or, depending on the game, I use a name that personally sounds Westerner-ish. If there is the option, I'll keep the default last name. When I play regular otome games with renameable characters, I stay with the complete default.

I know that some people change the MC's name after pursing a different guy because it feels awkward, or like "cheating," otherwise. None of that bothers me, as long as I can remember which game I'm playing.

Linkback: https://kokoro-cafe.net/index.php?topic=1364.0
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:44:24 PM by Aiwethryne »
Click for my game codes
(Or go to my forum profile bio)

...REEEAAAAHH.

Advertise Here

Vixey

• Cafe Addict
  • Liked: 4
  • Mrs. Fenrir~♥ /// On Hiatus from Playing
    • Share Post
    • Vixey's Tumblr
  • Mobile Device OS: Android
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:22:00 PM
I use my real name whenever possible and am playing as if it's me. I love the arithmetic games that let you have a separate in game name and social name. And in SWD friends are one sided and non interactive, so I don't connect with anyone but strangers and don't care if they see my name. In Voltage though which is social but does not separate, I use my handle instead so it's easier for people here to find me and I feel more comfortable interacting. I've also gotten used to being called by my handle, so it doesn't feel weird in the story part but I will temporary switch to my name on some occasions for dialog screenshots.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:25:35 PM by Vixey »

MushroomTeaGirl

• Cafe Lover
  • Liked: 0
    • Share Post
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:35:36 AM
I usually keep the standard name, except for Cinderella Contract where I named the MC after a manga character (whose name I liked - had nothing to do with personality!). My social name is the same everywhere since it's easier for friends to find me this way ^^
But once I set up a name I never change it.

I also never use my real name - the stories are usually too far away from real life and the MC is usually totally not me.
Cinderella Contract:  Invitation Code: VSnmhR
Once Upon A Fairy Tale: qiwjtV
7 Husbands: 6wPhCG

My IGN is Lycomi for all otome games <3 You can add me if you want

S.Sumire

• Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 18
  • I draw
    • Share Post
    • dA
  • Mobile Device OS: iOS
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 11:00:50 AM
Mine is just an alternate name :> I don't use my real name at all on online social interactions, because it's hard to pronounce in european accent and is really long.

The name I use now, "Sumire," was from a short shoujo manga. It seemed...err....soft/calm/cute...? idk, I just liked it :V and the last name "Suzuki" just popped in my head :]
I use them on everything (as you may have noticed)

Arisa-chan

• Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:53:45 PM
Never use my real name on game
Usually it's something pop up out of nowhere or looks cute
Since I'm the member of this forum, I use this name a lot in almost every otoge which needs socialize (earlier I just used default name)

Lately, I took last name from one of otoge and put it into first name
Since it's not really common name and people will find it easier
Arisa's still there but as the last name

DragonCryings

• Cafe Lover
  • Liked: 1
    • Share Post
  • Mobile Device OS: N/A
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 06:48:12 PM
I feel weird using my real name XD so I always use a fake name. When I play interactive games I use Emmillia Scarlett because I really like that name-last name combination and I like the sound of Scarlett. XD For Okko games which is just stories you have to read I kept using the name Alexia Smith, I have no idea why though. It just ended up being so hahaha.
And I use DragonCryings in almost all of the forums I register in, it's been like this for the past 8 years, and I never once changed it.
Be my Princess Party
ID: 314324 (Please add me to be friends or event mates :)   )
Invitation code fo goodies: 82502ca0

Thank you for being mates with me!

tssf

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:14:24 PM
Alternative name.
I just never use my real name, it would feel weird, can't remember ever using my real name in a game.
And I just don't like the default names. Probably because they are given by default and I wouldn't want to use them. I'm usually annoyed when I see so many people using them in certain games. I wonder whether there's one in Cinderella Contract, because I seem to have too many mates with the same name there - it's really annoying when I don't know who is active or not, who's sending those items...

Vixey

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
    • Vixey's Tumblr
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 09:54:42 PM
Lol it's funny I'm the only one using my name and pretending I am the MC. Then again I'm just that kind of person who gets immersed in something as if it's happening to me.
I also hate the default name (and default outfit! I try to get out of that as soon as possible because it makes me feel so basic) and try to avoid accepting friends with the default because it makes it seem like they're not that into it and couldn't be bothered picking a name or even a nickname, or they are in the tutorial batch friend request part.
In Cinderella Contract I'm pretty sure it's Risa, in Fairy Love Tale I think it's Misaki, and in Royal Midnight Kiss I think it's Haruki. I could be wrong, I'm just going by what I've seen to be the most common name by far on new people.

tssf

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 10:21:46 PM
I know many people actually do use their real names, but many also use alternative names (just an example, almost everything Japanese in English otome games are alternative names, of course, this is just an example, many people use other kinds of alternative names).

And exactly that one - Risa in Cinderella Contract. I think I'll start avoiding everyone with that name in the game, simply because I'm annoyed by always having 5 or so on my list and being completely unable to find out which one is actually the active one I want to thank for helping me...

S.Sumire

• Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 18
  • I draw
    • Share Post
    • dA
  • Mobile Device OS: iOS
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:51:38 PM
[member=19266]Vixey[/member] hahah, actually I also pretend the MC is me xD it just so happens...I get so into the story o3o so yeah...you're not alone~ ToT/"

I usually don't accept them right away. I wait for a few days...well a while, like until an event appears or something...I give them a chance a to develop, who knows, maybe they are actually very active :V

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 10:54:39 PM
That's how I felt the moment I got out of the tutorial stage in Destiny Ninja, as that was the first of the social lot to have given default names. Since Ninja Love for GREE was advertising DN, I instantly assumed that we could have a separate username and in-game name that no one would see. As soon as I looked at the friend recommendation list things, I instantly realized that almost everyone was named Sakura, which made it nearly impossible to find me without my ID, so I immediately changed it to Aiwei. That began the chain of my use of Aiwei. =w=

I would also change the MC's default name in games where I simply did not like the default. Usually only if the name does not fit the setting, like a Westerner's name in an obviously Japanese school, with parents who work in some particularly ethnic profession.

It also made me feel bad whenever I'd prune my list because I simply could not tell which of those names by default had taken me into battle or sent me items. As for clothing, I sometimes like joking around in SWD games, stripping the MC into her underwear once I am able and only adding accessories and hair items afterward. In all the time I've done this, I've only seen one player do the same.

Vixey

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
    • Vixey's Tumblr
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 11:21:58 PM
Yesss I also hate having multiple people with the same name on my list because I can't tell them apart x_x
And lol in Angel or Devil your avatar actually starts out bare with only undergarments and this drove me crazy because I really wanted to cover up dammit. Every time I'd finally get one of those gold books to spin for an avatar prize, I'd be like okay this is going to be some clothes. Please clothes. Please. And then I kept getting eyes. NO DAMMIT
Finally in an event I managed to collect enough items to get a dress. AND BY GOLLY I EARNED THAT DRESS

Sakuragawa

• Cafe Addict
  • Liked: 7
  • Gian = love //
    • Share Post
    • Twitter
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 01:38:50 AM
I'd say a mix. I never use my real name though since I dislike it. I feel weirded out whenever I see that someone has the same name as me. I don't think the name suits me either.

I've used the default name before when I was just starting out. Now I choose a different name for every nameable MC. I try not to choose the same name twice. Sometimes I'll only slightly alter the default name. I also choose names I remember from anime or manga. I would also look up name meanings for names that I thought would pair well with the story or to get a message across. In Ninja Assassin, since the MC wanted revenge I looked up that kind of name and settled with Adrasteia, even though it's not a Japanese name and the setting is clearly Japan. I think it's perf and beautiful.

I make a distinction between myself and the MC. Very rarely do I find that I agree with the MC. I'd think that I have a good thing going with the guy I'm interested in but the MC would be terrified or something. She'd think some guy is a sweetheart but I'd think that he's a jackass. I also get a bit attached to the MC's because I gave them their name...

Vixey

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
    • Vixey's Tumblr
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 01:43:38 AM
Haha yes [member=17962]Sakuragawa[/member]  I've noticed you have different names in every single game and it's hard to keep track of you but I try XD
Originally I thought it was to keep us guessing so we would never know who you really were. "Oh, you think this is my name? WELL HERE'S SEVEN OTHER NAMES THAT COULD BE MINE."

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:34:49 AM
So that's why, Sakuragawa~~ In BMPP, I thought that you were making fun of the MC by using that name. Best name ever.

Oh, yeah. In almost all SWD games, they start out in their underwear. That Angel or Devil one was especially lame looking for a while. Thankfully, the first time I used a magical book thing, I got a reaper outfit.

Share via facebook Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

* Cafe Chat

Refresh History
  • Keyra: it's a shame its no longer active
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:45 AM
  • Keyra: Hi i just rediscovered this again
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:38 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Wow! Can't believe there's still visitors
    August 22, 2023, 12:08:14 AM
  • Lilwyn: Stopping by to say Hello! :)
    August 18, 2023, 05:44:07 AM
  • SushiMartyr: nonetheless, I feel satisfied with the job I’ve done
    June 30, 2023, 03:15:00 PM
  • SushiMartyr: (fr tho, Tomo-kun is my one and only husbando)
    June 30, 2023, 03:14:11 PM
  • SushiMartyr: It doesn’t seem like anyone’s still here, so no one’s probably around to see me defend my best boi from Scarlet Fate xD
    June 30, 2023, 03:13:37 PM
  • SushiMartyr: Hi
    June 30, 2023, 07:20:37 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Hello to anyone who's still here in 2023  :wave:
    March 27, 2023, 03:29:52 AM
  • Godingame: Is there a community somewhere for the cinderella contract?
    March 01, 2022, 07:22:30 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Another new year, it's 2021. Hope everyone is healthy and well.
    March 28, 2021, 07:45:11 PM
  • KoronoChoi: dandelion wishes
    April 18, 2020, 05:04:30 PM
  • Sakuragawa: The last post was from 2018 and now it is 2020... Hello everyone, hope you are well  :rofl:
    January 05, 2020, 07:31:10 AM
  • Amavanna: Hey I'm looking for some Invites for the games I play can you guys add me, my codes are Angel or devil: HwTcTPa4V2 Hero in Love: B9J4rQDvK2 Never look back: Jf7LG1Xq7c Cant say no: GEYDwJpPju Lost island: GijCVsxGSi Mononoke Kiss: LuyDJDxHhG Magic Sword: Kq2heLxqqn
    October 02, 2018, 02:13:37 PM
  • Amavanna: Hey new here everyone doing ok?
    October 02, 2018, 02:00:30 PM
  • Lilwyn: Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I last stopped by, how is everything?
    October 02, 2018, 03:33:45 AM
  • HakuokiScientia: Is there a CG or a walkthrough for Is it love Peter here? Haven't found around when I googled it :(
    October 02, 2018, 01:35:21 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: @harumia Hi! Welcome to KC :) How are you doing?
    September 11, 2018, 02:53:40 PM
  • harumia: Hi hi! I'm fairly new here (tho I've known KC for years). How are you all?
    September 06, 2018, 06:21:03 PM
  • Mortis: destiny ninja touch my heart spin-off walkthrough
    July 26, 2018, 08:11:25 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Thank you! I checked the group's website and found it! I'm so happy I finally find a decent walkthrough ^^
    June 01, 2018, 02:03:59 PM
  • Sakuragawa: @BloodyDagger after a bit of Googling, it seems that a walkthrough should be included should be included with the English patch? The person/group that's making the the patch linked a JP walkthrough too.
    May 31, 2018, 09:20:56 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Hello, i'm new here, does anyone know where I could get a walkthrough for the pc game aniversary no kuni no alice? I've been searching far and wide and I still can't find it ....
    May 31, 2018, 02:17:19 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Ikemen Revolution is out for Android and iOS! [link]
    May 31, 2018, 12:14:47 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:33:14 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    March 05, 2018, 06:40:42 PM
  • Faith@p: Hii
    March 02, 2018, 12:25:09 PM
  • Faith@p: Hi
    March 02, 2018, 12:24:51 PM
  • Stulluna: Hello, is anyone online?
    March 01, 2018, 03:05:09 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Actually, just to clarify, are you talking about the paid version or the party version?
    February 14, 2018, 05:02:08 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: No, sorry :(
    February 13, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
  • cain0425: if that case is there any tips you could give on getting the super happy ending for the game?
    February 07, 2018, 09:32:37 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Possibly but unlikely anytime soon :(
    February 06, 2018, 01:50:34 PM
  • cain0425: will there ever be update on season 3 or season 4 walkthrough of My Forged Wedding you guys only have up to season 2.
    February 06, 2018, 02:37:51 AM
  • RukiKei: Enchanted in the moonlight
    January 18, 2018, 08:03:36 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    January 16, 2018, 06:00:42 PM
  • Emi Nguyen: Hi
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:54 AM
  • Emi Nguyen: Emi Nguyen
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:45 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Happy Holidays too Sakuragawa!
    December 05, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Holidays!  :wave:
    November 23, 2017, 02:47:48 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Made some great memories here and met some nice people.
    November 11, 2017, 03:31:16 AM
  • Sakuragawa: I know it's not Thanksgiving yet, but I want to say that I'm thankful for the existence of KC.  :heart:
    November 11, 2017, 03:29:54 AM
  • angle: hi
    November 05, 2017, 09:55:07 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Halloween ehe
    November 01, 2017, 12:53:05 AM
  • Dawn Skinner: Contract marraige
    September 26, 2017, 08:51:33 PM
  • Satharn: :)
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:31 PM
  • Satharn: Hey there
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:16 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: What game is ths for?