collapse

* Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Recent Posts

Author Topic:  Contract Marriage  (Read 17388 times)

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 38
  • Stalker of the Unseelie Court... Laughing at Smut
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
  • Mobile Device OS: Android & iOS
on: October 03, 2013, 12:50:40 AM
This is the new Contract Marriage discussion thread~! Rant or gush to your heart's content~

:exclaim: :exclaim::exclaim: Remember:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler][/spoiler]Please try to post in the appropriate section~

Go to CGs Thread

Linkback: https://kokoro-cafe.net/index.php?topic=630.0
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:38:49 AM by Aiwethryne »
Click for my game codes
(Or go to my forum profile bio)

...REEEAAAAHH.

Advertise Here

Anie

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
  • Liked: 0
    • Share Post
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:29:50 AM
Though I haven't gotten very far with all of the storylines, can I just say that
Spoiler  Hidden:
threatening someone to marry you with blackmail material and threats of suicide
is the lowest thing someone can do? Can't say I was very pleased with Toma. I haven't gotten very far, so I can't really provide full judgement, but so far, I think Arima's the most sensible. I barely started Soji's so we'll see.

But yeah, so far I am cringing at Toma... e H e )|||||
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »

alogado

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
  • Mobile Device OS: N/A
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:31:56 AM
So, I don't know about you, but I think that all those men who make otome games for us (because, come on, how could have women written so much.. crap) don't understand as at all und probably think we are huge idiots who are satisfied with the crappy tv soap opera niveau, but, COME ON.

First of all, the very beginning of the game.

Toma spoilers until Chapter 6~
Spoiler  Hidden:
Alright, having a huge debt is a pretty old plot device, I don't mind those as long as they are used well. But in this game? It's absolutely ridiculous. I reread the first few episodes because I somehow thought her parents were dead. No, they are not dead. Her father calls her and tells her they have a debt.

Uh, alright, sorry dad, that's really unfortunate but I'm gonna help you as much as I can. What? *I* am supposed to pay? The yakuza are gonna knock on my door? What the hell is wrong with you, exactly?

This would make somewhat sense if her parents are dead, but they are not. So what business do the bad guys have with her? Why is it her responsiblity to pay it back?
And wasn't she supposed to work at her parents shop? What's she doing working in a company? This confuses me.

Oh well, I guess, I can close my eyes for this one. There are more ridiculous premises for otome games.
But then.
She sees a man jump into the river. What does she do. She dives in. At night. With her clothes on. Without being ABSOLUTELY sure to save him. That's not even stupid, that's freaking suicidal. Helping others is nice and everything, but putting yourself into danger by doing so is something you should not do under any circumstances. 1 dead person is better than two.
So, she dives in and of course she can't handle it. Really. That surprised me a lot. What happens. He saves her. Alright, I guess I can accept that but, after that...
Since she saved him (which she did NOT do, on the contrary), it's HER responsibility to take care he doesn't kill himself again. That's the moment you call the police and tell them to put him into a hospital, girl. So of course he drags her all the way with him to a hotel, where both of them are alone. At this point I was pretty sure she really wanted to die. I mean, what the hell? Really? Sure, he is a man, you are only a weak, japanese woman, but he must be *really* strong to drag you all the way to a hotel. No excuses. That's fucking stupid.

And then, he blackmails her into marrying him. Sure, I was wondering how exactly they would explain her agreeing with this whole thing (because, I mean, she made it so far so she has a bit of common sense, right?) and they use blackmail. That does not make Toma more attractive. Quite on the contrary. Taking a nude picture of her and threatening her to show it to everybody? What the hell is wrong with you, bro? At that point I really wanted to stop playing because this is just a no go. (Like all the [attempted] harassment scenes... sigh... Dear Writer, women do not actually like to be molested. Sincerly, every woman on this planet.)

But I kept playing. I mean, it is only a game, right? I just shouldn't take everything so seriously. And Toma does look good (being a molesting creep is acceptable is the guy is attractive #otome game logic).

But I really, really, really, really hate what they did in Chapter 5.
So, Natsuki loves his brother. He knows his brother is in love with a girl. He knows his brother married someone else, but not why. He's worried about his brother getting hurt. Then he has some kind of unexplainable thought process and molests his brother's wife. What. Um? I seriously thought I missed something in there.
Where did THAT come from? That's just.. it is so completely out of character. Dear Writers, if your character does something out of character there needs to be a VERY good reason. Being worried about his brother is not sufficient.
And on top of that the whole is so extremely creepy. I don't mind romancing high school aged boys, not at all, I love tokimeki. That is as long as the protagonist is in the same age range. AND willing.
A 28 years old woman molested by a 16 years old boy? Come on, stop with the wish fulfillment crap, that's just, ugh. /shudder
Of course this scene creates a misunderstandment. Alright, those are the A and O of otome games (count how many otome games you know that could be resolved by simply talking about something immediately! Me, me! Oh, you! How many? Uhm, about almost everyone? Ding ding, we have a winner!) and I have accepted them. I do not like them but it seems like you can't escape them here. Fine.
But then, instead of a big blown up conflict (that's the only thing I liked about this, no huge melodrama!) it's suddenly fine. Oh, Natsuki was worried. He had a reason. It's fine. Yeah, it totally is. Now I'm gonna cook food for the boy who molested me! What a good wife.
SERIOUSLY?
Ugh. This whole scene was just an incredibly poor method to get the protagonist and Toma to talk about Sayaka. Really? Was that really necessary? Why not use the protagonist's coworker instead? I mean, he did kiss her after all.
So I thought, okay, there is a specific reason why it had to be his brother. Toma loves him after all a lot and everything and this would probably create a huge conflict and so on. But nope. There is no excuse for doing this to poor Natsuki. Just let him be an innocent high school student, please. :(
Sigh.

I don't know. Maybe they are gonna talk about this again. Maybe they save the coworker for later, when Toma develops feelings for her too, I don't know.

[[Oh and, what are you getting all said for protag-chan, anyway? You don't like you. He molested you, blackmailed you and paid you. There is no emotional attachment between you to. Then why are you suddenly feeling sad when he embraces another girl? Jeez.]]

Phew, that god quite long... but I read a lot of stories today and it just makes me so angry that they are always using the same crap. And corrupt poor Natsuki just because they couldn't think of anything better.

Anie

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:14:29 AM
@alogado we are on the same page with Toma, I see.

But otome games in general keep using those weird formulas that just don't make sense? If I'd met a lot of these guys in real like (ESPECIALLY Toma) I would've called the police a long time ago. Blackmail and threats just don't (and should never) be romanticized.

Hagu_TL

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:37:34 AM
Thanks to Aiwethryne for creating a Contract Marriage thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was struck by the shadiness of this all. By the way, Tota Murase, the "doe-eyed agent of evil" I mentioned, appears in Soji's route to sort-of-try-to-seduce-you and definitely frame you on two different occasions, and from what I've read, he's even more vile in Ryo Kurosaki's route. What's really annoying, though, is that the MC never really gets mad at him.

It seems to me that this whole jumping the gun / straight to marriage business was tailored for the ?M audiences.

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:45:27 AM
With the amount of... questionable shoujo and jousei manga, obviously authored by women, that I read, it does not seem beyond women to write this trash that we know we keep reading because they are in this form of media. I mean, with all the flack that certain vampire stories receive, you've got to admit that generally popular shoujo manga are notorious for featuring the same things.

It is not to say, though, that the male influences are not pushing these stories into being cookie-cutter made. I know this one guy who has been drawing shoujo manga for at least ten years, and his females tend to behave in the way he truly seems to want women - his disillusioned views about ideal girls. Well, it's pretty much everything that a feminist would head bash him for. Or maybe that's just me. But people like them because the stories have their cute moments, the style is attractive, and it is free.

...LOL That instead became a rant about my manga experiences.

Anie

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 04:39:55 AM
I agree... some of these stories just scream out: "This is what I think women want/like" and/or "This is what I want women to want/like". By being spoon-fed this bullcrap for so long, it's no wonder you see women adopting this mentality in writing. We hardly get much variety in otome games, so people just go with the flow.

Judging from what I've seen of Toma's route so far, it's safe to say that the MC has no backbone at all. I understand that accepting the contract is the point of the game and is the premise of the whole thing, but... the execution of it left a sour taste in my mouth.

As for Soji,
Spoiler  Hidden:
I barely started, but his demands were also a bit too high?! 500k is a large sum of money for sure, but is that really worth a lifetime of slavery? Granted, if there is a time limit to this, I haven't gotten to it yet. But yes, needless to say he also threatened to release her information and have her fired, so it wasn't really a choice. -sigh- Aaahh blackmail~ So yes, he also conveniently leaves out the important part about what kind of slave she'd be. What her duties would be, what he would "teach" her. Of course, MC probably won't find out until after she's signed~
So far, these two storylines spell Stockholm Syndrome~ Toma's for sure, Soji is still pending, depending on his demands.

Shinobu, however
Spoiler  Hidden:
seems to be the most reasonable, and dare I say, perfect candidate. His terms are simple: act as his wife, make the world believe they are in love. Need I mention he won't do anything to her without her permission? Of course kissing and touching is excluded, but hey, an act's an act. No threats, no blackmailing...just the grim reality check that such a large sum would result in poor career choices for poor MC and that yes, it would indeed destroy her if she went down that path. Also, hello time limit! 3 months! Although it's a bit short for 500k, I would've taken the deal in a heartbeat. I haven't gotten past the step-mom intro with him, but so far...
Shinobu is the only decent male of the three.

Mariel46

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 06:25:04 AM
So far, I like Soji. Hes pushy and arrogant, but isnt any different from say, subaru from msb or joshy from bmp. And he blushes sooo :blush:  :love2:  :crush:
and hes a megane...that's probably a big part of it...hahaha, I hope his b route stays good tho. ARGH I HATE THE DIARY THINGS. HOW YOU HAVE TO USE PLATINUM, WHICH YOU NEED TO BUY.
BMP]
MSB]
CD]
NL]

Hagu_TL

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:21:46 AM
Quote from: "Aiwethryne"
It is not to say, though, that the male influences are not pushing these stories into being cookie-cutter made.
You--no, we have no idea, by which I mean, you are very correct. I daresay that there are probably some male writers out there feeling the executive whip, but I'll heartily agree that at the upper echelons are sties of men with ?s for eyes. Here's a bullet point from Arith-metic's description of their Arismile service, which Contract Marriage serves as a sort of gold standard:
Quote from: "Arismile page"
[/url]???????1????9????????6??????????+??????????????????????12???(1??3?????????)?
Lemme TL that for you: Arith-metic recommends to their partners (and themselves) that each character's route have approximately 90000 Japanese characters of text (so as not to cause favoritism-fueled wars between fans? I think not), exactly 6 CGs, enough character stills "as necessary," along with gatcha capsules blah blah 12 episodes with each episode containing 3 days' worth of material. This, apparently, is what the Suits currently believe to be the best risk for their reward, the most bang for their artist/author-paying buck.

It's got to take some incredible talent to insert anything creative into the cracks around the Business Plan. Few industries are free from the publishers', and behind them, stockholders' wagging fingers, but frankly, I've got to ask where the fledgling game industry executives get off forgoing experimentation for the One True Money Maker (I mean, Social Game). On the other hand, we know now that there's not a soul at Arith-metic who can claim to understand the finer points of English, so for better or for worse, the translator(s) have a fair amount of freedom. Speaking of which, I haven't checked on Contract Marriage for a while--have the translations been updated yet? Are people still saying "hummmm?"

On another note, Shinobu really is the most initially chivalrous of the three, and four including what I know of Ryo.

alogado

• Cafe Addict
    • Share Post
Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:30 AM

This annoys me more than it probably should.
But really, they couldn't be bothered to fix that? :/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:45:56 AM by Aiwethryne »

saki_yokushi

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
  • LIVE LIKE NO END.
    • Share Post
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 03:21:08 PM
@ alogado:
Cool! You are very observant. I didn't notice that. But anyways, the game needs proper rendering and checking. I mean, there were some conversations that can't be read at all anymore because it got inserted with the conversation panel. And what's worse, when I've played Soji's route - I was so shocked because the whole scenario conversation is in complete Japanese! It got me pissed off. I rant to their contact email twice. At least, they already fixed them and gave me gacha tickets in return.
Office Lover INVITATION CODE] Ww5tyg (Kitazawa\'s route)
Marriage Contract INVITATION CODE] MEihNB (Soji\'s route)
My Sweet Prince INVITATION CODE] HY9QEgCq40 (Jun\'s route)
Destiny Ninja]Goyo\'s route
[co

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 04:46:10 AM
Since I see random color pixels outside the lines all the time in BMP, MSB, and CD, seeing it here does not bother me as much, especially with the sprites in Contract Marriage not being dastardly pixelated like in the former. Also, as I obviously draw junky lineart and cell shade as well, I know how it is with the coloring. I always have to flash between a dark or light solid background to see these mistakes and zoom in 500% to clean things, then die scanning through every outer border. Unless they constantly do that, it is understandable that the artist(s) missed it. But that is what quality checkers are for. Those are the people who could have paid more attention.

@ Saki~
Daaaawwwww. I want gacha tickets~~~ ;3; *sawbs in a corner* But that really is stupid on their part. They need more attentive QCers...

draikel

• Frequent Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 05:13:40 AM
e.e

I've not gotten too far with this yet.... I don't have much patience for this style game. And I've only experienced bits of Soji so far. And I think I'm definitely out of the norm, here... From the moment he started, I was like, "Yes. YES. JUST SAY YES. STOP BEING THAT WAY. YES PLZ."
Spoiler  Hidden:
To be honest, I'm more than a little disappointed that things mellow out from the beginning, seemingly very, very quickly. For starters, she's not even a slave... she's a pet. There's a relatively huge difference there. And I'm alright with a master, falling in love with their slave and/or pet. I've RP'd this scenario, though it wasn't what we were aiming for in the RP, it's what happened... But IMO, Soji goes soft, way too fast.
. I look forward to the rest of his story, just because I hope it gets as juicy as it had been in the beginning, but I'm not holding my breath.

Nagisa

• Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
  • Mobile Device OS: Android
Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 07:14:57 PM
What really made me sad is
Spoiler  Hidden:
that Arima had more CG's than Soji.

Kuroneko13

• Cafe Visitor
    • Share Post
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:44:02 AM
It's weird how when I first downloaded Contract Marriage, I thought of choosing Soji. But I ended up choosing Toma although he was the character I liked the least then. And now I've finished Toma route, I chose Shinobu over Soji. I'm liking Shinobu so far. LOL sorry Soji. Wait for me though.  :grin2:

Share via facebook Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

xx
[Walkthrough] Contract Marriage Plus

Started by S.Sumire on Mobile Devices

59 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 09:02:57 AM
by TessaRaqt
xx
[Event WT] Contract Marriage+ ~ Events

Started by Vixey on Event Walkthroughs

87 Replies
Last post August 07, 2015, 09:13:42 AM
by Vixey
xx
[Event WT] Contract Marriage Events

Started by Aiwethryne on Event Walkthroughs

12 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 10:21:02 PM
by shizume_michiru
xx
[Walkthrough and Tips] Contract Marriage

Started by Aiwethryne on Mobile Devices

331 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 05:58:52 PM
by Aquitaine
xx
Contract Marriage and Vampire Darling (Yaoi) Released

Started by kokoro-cafe on Otome Game News

0 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 08:31:30 PM
by kokoro-cafe

* Cafe Chat

Refresh History
  • Keyra: it's a shame its no longer active
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:45 AM
  • Keyra: Hi i just rediscovered this again
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:38 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Wow! Can't believe there's still visitors
    August 22, 2023, 12:08:14 AM
  • Lilwyn: Stopping by to say Hello! :)
    August 18, 2023, 05:44:07 AM
  • SushiMartyr: nonetheless, I feel satisfied with the job I’ve done
    June 30, 2023, 03:15:00 PM
  • SushiMartyr: (fr tho, Tomo-kun is my one and only husbando)
    June 30, 2023, 03:14:11 PM
  • SushiMartyr: It doesn’t seem like anyone’s still here, so no one’s probably around to see me defend my best boi from Scarlet Fate xD
    June 30, 2023, 03:13:37 PM
  • SushiMartyr: Hi
    June 30, 2023, 07:20:37 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Hello to anyone who's still here in 2023  :wave:
    March 27, 2023, 03:29:52 AM
  • Godingame: Is there a community somewhere for the cinderella contract?
    March 01, 2022, 07:22:30 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Another new year, it's 2021. Hope everyone is healthy and well.
    March 28, 2021, 07:45:11 PM
  • KoronoChoi: dandelion wishes
    April 18, 2020, 05:04:30 PM
  • Sakuragawa: The last post was from 2018 and now it is 2020... Hello everyone, hope you are well  :rofl:
    January 05, 2020, 07:31:10 AM
  • Amavanna: Hey I'm looking for some Invites for the games I play can you guys add me, my codes are Angel or devil: HwTcTPa4V2 Hero in Love: B9J4rQDvK2 Never look back: Jf7LG1Xq7c Cant say no: GEYDwJpPju Lost island: GijCVsxGSi Mononoke Kiss: LuyDJDxHhG Magic Sword: Kq2heLxqqn
    October 02, 2018, 02:13:37 PM
  • Amavanna: Hey new here everyone doing ok?
    October 02, 2018, 02:00:30 PM
  • Lilwyn: Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I last stopped by, how is everything?
    October 02, 2018, 03:33:45 AM
  • HakuokiScientia: Is there a CG or a walkthrough for Is it love Peter here? Haven't found around when I googled it :(
    October 02, 2018, 01:35:21 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: @harumia Hi! Welcome to KC :) How are you doing?
    September 11, 2018, 02:53:40 PM
  • harumia: Hi hi! I'm fairly new here (tho I've known KC for years). How are you all?
    September 06, 2018, 06:21:03 PM
  • Mortis: destiny ninja touch my heart spin-off walkthrough
    July 26, 2018, 08:11:25 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Thank you! I checked the group's website and found it! I'm so happy I finally find a decent walkthrough ^^
    June 01, 2018, 02:03:59 PM
  • Sakuragawa: @BloodyDagger after a bit of Googling, it seems that a walkthrough should be included should be included with the English patch? The person/group that's making the the patch linked a JP walkthrough too.
    May 31, 2018, 09:20:56 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Hello, i'm new here, does anyone know where I could get a walkthrough for the pc game aniversary no kuni no alice? I've been searching far and wide and I still can't find it ....
    May 31, 2018, 02:17:19 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Ikemen Revolution is out for Android and iOS! [link]
    May 31, 2018, 12:14:47 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:33:14 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    March 05, 2018, 06:40:42 PM
  • Faith@p: Hii
    March 02, 2018, 12:25:09 PM
  • Faith@p: Hi
    March 02, 2018, 12:24:51 PM
  • Stulluna: Hello, is anyone online?
    March 01, 2018, 03:05:09 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Actually, just to clarify, are you talking about the paid version or the party version?
    February 14, 2018, 05:02:08 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: No, sorry :(
    February 13, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
  • cain0425: if that case is there any tips you could give on getting the super happy ending for the game?
    February 07, 2018, 09:32:37 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Possibly but unlikely anytime soon :(
    February 06, 2018, 01:50:34 PM
  • cain0425: will there ever be update on season 3 or season 4 walkthrough of My Forged Wedding you guys only have up to season 2.
    February 06, 2018, 02:37:51 AM
  • RukiKei: Enchanted in the moonlight
    January 18, 2018, 08:03:36 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    January 16, 2018, 06:00:42 PM
  • Emi Nguyen: Hi
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:54 AM
  • Emi Nguyen: Emi Nguyen
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:45 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Happy Holidays too Sakuragawa!
    December 05, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Holidays!  :wave:
    November 23, 2017, 02:47:48 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Made some great memories here and met some nice people.
    November 11, 2017, 03:31:16 AM
  • Sakuragawa: I know it's not Thanksgiving yet, but I want to say that I'm thankful for the existence of KC.  :heart:
    November 11, 2017, 03:29:54 AM
  • angle: hi
    November 05, 2017, 09:55:07 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Halloween ehe
    November 01, 2017, 12:53:05 AM
  • Dawn Skinner: Contract marraige
    September 26, 2017, 08:51:33 PM
  • Satharn: :)
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:31 PM
  • Satharn: Hey there
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:16 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: What game is ths for?