collapse

* Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Recent Posts

Author Topic:  Cafe Goodies Section - Share Yummy Food  (Read 12766 times)

kokoro-cafe

• Cafe Owner
  • Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 44
    • Share Post
    • http://www.kokoro-cafe.net
  • Mobile Device OS: Android & iOS
on: January 06, 2014, 02:50:33 AM
Just opened a whole new section under Other Girly-ness to share about one of my favorite topics.... FOOD.  You can share pictures and recipes of food you ate or food you made.  Lets turn this fake cafe into a more real-ish one!  Seriously... lol I'm kind of feeling bad that this fake cafe is topping Google search over real Kokoro cafes....  :blush::blush::blush:

I'll get the party started!
:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Asian Sweet Bread (Hong Kong Pai Bao aka Hokaiddo Milk Bread) and Taro Baked Buns

Part of the reason I love visiting Asia is because I love the cakes and bread there.  :heart: The cakes are so light and the bread is so fluffy and moist.  I've been craving the bread so I decided to try making it this winter mainly because I didn't want to get people to bring me Asian bread from Cali all the time.  :giggle:

It was a big success.  I had to attend a bunch of holiday parties this year and a bunch of people kept asking me for the recipe so I'm sharing it with you guys too!  If you eat it soon after it comes out of the oven it's like cotton candy soft.  :heart:

The taro buns are an extra step to the bread recipe, if you can make the bread then you can make all sorts of stuff like... BBQ Pork buns etc.  I filled it with taro this time because I love taro everything.  Taro ice cream is the best.  :love: I won't post how I made the filling and the buns right now but if you guys are interested you can ask post here and when I have the time I can add to the post.

Bread Recipe

I adapted the recipe from here.  I made some adjustments but it's still mostly the same recipe.  The page also has step-by-step images if you are more of a visual person.  Also keep in mind if you make this it will take up a good portion of your day so plan for it.

Ingredients
5 cups bread flour (Less than 5 cups is better -makes it fluffier- I eyeball it but I would say around 4 and 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup of milk
1 tbsp and 1 teaspoons of instant yeast
6 tbsp butter (cut the butter into small pieces - I generally stick it in the microwave for 30 sec if it came out of the fridge)
Tangzhong

Tangzhong:
1/3 cup of bread flour
1 cup of water

Instructions
Whisk 1/3 cup of flour and water together, dissolve until there are no lumps.

Pour the mixture into a saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Stir the mixture constantly while it heats up. Cook until the mixture thickens to the point you can a draw "line" in the mixture and the indentation can remain as is for a bit (it will be noticeable).

Once the mixture is just right, take it off the stove.

In a bowl combine flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast. Make a well in the center and add in milk, eggs and tangzhong.

Use the dough hook attachment on your stand mixer (I use a bread machine and set it to the dough function, just take it out once it stops mixing). Begin mixing on medium speed until the dough comes together. Then add in the butter and let it continue mixing until the dough is smooth. It shouldn't be too sticky and have some elasticity. It takes around 30 minutes to mix the dough.

Take a large bowl and grease with oil.  Place dough into the greased bowl and cover with a wet towel. Let it proof until it’s doubled in size, about 40 minutes (The colder it is where you are the longer you need for it to proof).

After proofing, move the dough to a clean surface and split up the dough into four equal portions. If the dough seems too sticky you can add a little flour to your surface.  Knead and form this dough into balls. Cover it with the wet towel and let it rest for 15 minutes.

To help create the fluffiness of the layers,  taking a rolling pin and roll each portion of the dough into an oval shape. Then take one end of the oval dough and fold it to the middle of the oval. The other end should then be folded to meet top of the other end of the dough.

To create more fluffiness, flip dough over with the folds facing down. Flatten the dough with rolling pin and flip it over again.  Now roll  up the dough (you can refer to the link I provided above to see what I mean) ---If you are making taro buns, stop here and follow the instructions below---  and place into a greased pan. I generally like to place the rolls side by side in a loaf pan.  Makes the shape you see in the picture.  If you make the rolls too small they get dry and not as good.

Put a wet towel over the rolls and let them rise until they are double the size (about 50 minutes).

Before baking the final proofed dough, beat an egg until thoroughly combined. Brush the egg mixture on top of the bread in order to create the beautiful brown finish after baking (I generally use up the entire egg mixture on the batch of bread - have at least 2 or 3 coats of it).

Finally, bake the bread at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes.  While waiting you can make a honey and water mixture (I generally use about 2 tsps of honey and 2 tbsps of water).  Make sure the honey is completely dissolved and 10 min before the bread is finished baking take it out and coat it with the honey mixture (about 2 coats) then stick it back into the oven for whatever the remaining time is.  This will give it a shiny coat and add a little more of that sweetness that was lacking from the original recipe.

Taro Paste Recipe

I adapted the recipe from here.  Had to change the recipe again as I found it a little too runny for taro filling in buns.  I also put the filling in the fridge overnight so it would solidify more.

Ingredients:
2 lb. Taro
1/3 cup of Sugar
2 1/2 tbsp Honey
1 cup of  Hot water (You can probably replace this with milk or coconut milk)
6 tbsp  Butter (If you used milk you can probably just use 2 tbsp, I used water and it was lacking that dairy taste)
2 Pandan leaves or 1 tsp of Pandan extract (**optional** can be substituted with vanilla extract or beans <-- I used vanilla because I have no idea what Pandan is  <!-- s:shock: -->:shock:<!-- s:shock: --> )

Instructions
Using latex or rubber gloves to protect your hands (super important!), peel with a vegetable peeler and cut the taro into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes (I bought pre-peeled ones because I didn't want to deal with my hands itching  <!-- s:wry: -->:wry:<!-- s:wry: --> ). Boil and drain them in water until they are soft and mashable. 

While the taro is cooking, make the syrup. Combine the sugar, honey, hot water/milk and pandan/vanilla in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves completely.  If you use milk make sure to heat it slowly and constantly stir.

Mash the steamed taro while it is still hot until it resembles a dry powder.  Add in the butter and combine.  Add the syrup  to the mashed taro mixture in 3-4 additions, stir with either a wooden spoon or spatula until the syrup is absorbed.  The final texture should be like soft mashed potatoes. I would adjust the taste as needed, I think I ended up dumping in more sugar because it wasn't sweet enough for the buns.

Taro Bun Recipe

Instructions

Once you get to the point this point:

"To help create the fluffiness of the layers,  taking a rolling pin and roll each portion of the dough into an oval shape. Then take one end of the oval dough and fold it to the middle of the oval. The other end should then be folded to meet top of the other end of the dough.

To create more fluffiness, flip dough over with the folds facing down. Flatten the dough with rolling pin and flip it over again.  Now roll  up the dough (you can refer to the link I provided above to see what I mean)"

Instead of putting it in a pan, press the dough flat and use the rolling pin to roll it back into a circle shape.  Put some taro filling in (it's important not to fill it too full because it will leak out when you bake it) and scrunch up the rim of the circle until it all comes together and you can't see the filling anymore.  Make sure there's no holes left where that filling can leak out.  Flatten a disposable cupcake liner and put the scrunched up part face down onto the flatten cupcake liner and place onto a cookie sheet pan.

Put a wet towel over the buns and let them rise until they are double the size (about 50 minutes).

Before baking the final proofed dough, beat an egg until thoroughly combined. Brush the egg mixture on top of the bread in order to create the beautiful brown finish after baking (I generally use up the entire egg mixture on the batch of bread - have at least 2 or 3 coats of it).

Finally, bake the bread at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes.  While waiting you can make a honey and water mixture (I generally use about 2 tsps of honey and 2 tbsps of water).  Make sure the honey is completely dissolved and 10 min before the bread is finished baking take it out and coat it with the honey mixture (about 2 coats) then stick it back into the oven for whatever the remaining time is.  This will give it a shiny coat and add a little more of that sweetness that was lacking from the original recipe.

Linkback: https://kokoro-cafe.net/index.php?topic=765.0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:45:25 AM by Lilwyn »

Artemis003

• Cafe Addict
  • Liked: 0
  • Boo...
    • Share Post
  • Mobile Device OS: Android
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 03:58:02 AM
O.O Best section ever! :excited2:
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 AM by Guest »
((d{^.^}b))
Ninja Assassin+: Cdbg9fxVJN
Ninja Love+: E9Vw3Sjtqa
Mononoke Kiss+: NVPWtviibG
Scarlet Fate+: GawDtR8vrQ
My Fairy Tale+: FRKvkETBaE

OtomeBabe

• Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 35
    • Share Post
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:46:37 AM
My goodness, it looks so yummy and you answered my question there, yaay for using bread machine to make the dough

kokoro-cafe

• Cafe Owner
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 01:33:15 AM
Quote from: "Marie"
My goodness, it looks so yummy and you answered my question there, yaay for using bread machine to make the dough

I'm waiting for you to post your stuff  :excited2:

OtomeBabe

• Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:03:07 AM

Black Forrest Cake (aka Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte)

Who doesn't know or haven't eaten a slice of Black Forrest Cake? Baking this cake need a lot of time but it's worthed. You better make it a day before serving time so the cake will taste better.

It was my first attempt to make it without the help from my mother or my brother (who usually did the decoration for cake cause ehm..yeah..my lack sense of art doesn't help me when it comes to decorate cakes).

It was a big success, enough to make one of my auntie who usually doesn't like cake, brought some of the leftover cake to her home  :laugh: [/size]

Black Forrest Cake

I got the recipe from here.

Ingredients

Knead dough
200 gr flour
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 teaspoon    backing powder
50 gr   sugar
1 pack Vanilla sugar
100 g    butter, (room temperature)

Sponge dough
8 eggs, separate the white and the yolk
180 g    sugar
1 pack Vanilla sugar
2 pinches cinnamon powder
6 drop bitter almond essence
220 gr flour
20 gr    cacao powder
3 teaspoon    baking powder

Filling
2 glasses red cherry
3 tbsp sugar
6 tbsp flour
6 tbsp cherry water (it's a name of liquor)
4 cup    whipping/heavy cream
5 tbsp sugar powder

Butter for the baking pan

Instructions

Knead dough
All the ingredients mix together and make ??into a dough. Put the dough on the bottom of a 28 springform pan.
Bake in preheated oven at 160 ° C. Bake for about 15 minutes . Then raise the temperature to 175 ° C .

Sponge dough
Beat 8 white eggs with mixer until stiff and set aside.
Beat 8 egg yolks with mixer, 180 g sugar and 1 pack vanilla sugar together for so long until a creamy 'soft' mass. Add 2 pinches of cinnamon and 6 drops of bitter almond essence to this mixture.
Now very gently stir the egg whites batter into the yolk mixture, or the mixture collapses .
Now mix 220 g flour , 20 g of cocoa powder and 3 tsp baking powder into the cream (mix using wood spoon) . Fill this dough in a greased 28- springform pan .

Bake in preheated oven at 175 ° C for about 30 minutes to bake ( do toothpick test cause every oven differs with other  ) .

Filling
For the filling, drain the cherries from the bottles and get the cherry water/juice from the bottles. Boil the cherry juice and thicken with 5-6 tablespoons flour , 3 tablespoons sugar and 5-6 tablespoons kirsch water liquor, so that it becomes a solid mass. Use 12 cherries to decorate. Then stir in the remaining cherries and let cool.

Beat 4 cup heavy cream with 4-5 tbsp icing sugar  ( so divide the cream into portions , that's enough for everything - if it still  too little for decoration, you can still beat a cup )

Then proceed as follows:

The Knead dough comes first and spread a layer of cherries , then spread a layer of cream . The cream must not be red from the cherries but must remain separate. Then put the first sponge base. Repeat the process for 2 times. Then decorate the cake with the rest of the cream. Spread all around cream, both above and also on the side . Make 12 cream rosettes with the piping bag and put it in each one put aside cherry. Sprinkle the cake with grated chocolate .

Note : don't ask me how much calories in this cake  :laugh:

kokoro-cafe

• Cafe Owner
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:10 PM
Looks so yummy! Totally going to try it some time!

soundless

• Cafe Lover
  • Liked: 0
    • Share Post
  • Mobile Device OS: iOS
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 01:33:54 AM
This section is awesome!! But must be avoided if one is hungry and there's nothing to eat... hahaha

Lilwyn

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Addict
  • Liked: 23
  • Kyori
    • Share Post
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:25:45 AM
Im a huge Taro fan! I love Taro anything as well. Especially this  taro coconut cream blend with tapioca i get from a teahouse downtown. Only thing is its like 20mins away so i hardly get to indulge in this godly beverage. But when i do i also make sure to go to this bakery that has taro filled buns and enjoy the 2 mins i take to devour it all.  :heart:  
Sadly i have no idea to make either one and recipes hardly taste like the original. Not to mention i live in a Hispanic influence area so there are not many decent Asian cuisine close to me. D:
That being said i would love to try your Taro filling recipe!  :yum:

MFWParty: 607a6cc3

OtomeBabe

• Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:16:39 AM
@Lilwyn : you should consider lucky enough, able to get taro bun within 20 mins. For me, it's like a hour with the train >.<'

LadyAyaRose

• Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 32
    • Share Post
    • http://ayas-dream-world.tumblr.com
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:34:09 PM
Oooo all ways been meaning to know how to make a Black Forest..That's my fave type of cake...And now need to find the time to get down and get dirty in making it :)

- Something To Make You Smile Yours Sincerely Aya -

OtomeBabe

• Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 03:24:49 PM
@LadyAyaRose : get mess in the kitchen and post the result here.

kokoro-cafe

• Cafe Owner
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 07:38:00 PM
Quote from: "Lilwyn"
Im a huge Taro fan! I love Taro anything as well. Especially this  taro coconut cream blend with tapioca i get from a teahouse downtown. Only thing is its like 20mins away so i hardly get to indulge in this godly beverage. But when i do i also make sure to go to this bakery that has taro filled buns and enjoy the 2 mins i take to devour it all.  :heart:  
Sadly i have no idea to make either one and recipes hardly taste like the original. Not to mention i live in a Hispanic influence area so there are not many decent Asian cuisine close to me. D:
That being said i would love to try your Taro filling recipe!  :yum:

I added the full recipe on there along with how to make the taro buns.  Hope you like it!

When I made the bread all of the Asian parents asked me how I made it so it should be authentic enough.  I'm pretty picky with the taste of food so if it doesn't taste remotely close to what I've had before I never make it again but I made this bread more times I can count in the last 2 months because people keep asking for it. I almost feel like I should open a bakery now.  :giggle: Make a real Kokoro Cafe.

Quote from: "Marie"
@Lilwyn : you should consider lucky enough, able to get taro bun within 20 mins. For me, it's like a hour with the train >.<'

I beat you both, I have to take a plane to another state.  :wry:

Hmmmm... I wonder if this section is just for baked goods though cus recently I tried to copy this really awesome dish I had while I was in Lhasa, Tibet that I could share.  They called it yak bun, think we ordered yak... by the way I love yak meat too lol it's pretty delicious.  But it wasn't a bun! Well not by our definition of using flour and dough to make it. We were soooo surprised when it came out.  :giggle: Learned so much on that trip.

Lilwyn

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Addict
  • Liked: 23
  • Kyori
    • Share Post
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:45:36 PM
haha well its 20 mins if i go over speed limit and there isnt traffic. but yeah i am lucky that i live close to one of the second largest China Towns here in the states. xD I just hardly have the time to go every time i get a craving not to mention i dont have my own car... :(
Oooh im looking forward to trying the Taro bread recipe! yum!

kokoro-cafe

• Cafe Owner
  • Cafe Neighbor
    • Share Post
Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 07:50:59 PM
@Lilwyn oops lol took me too long to respond, you posted below me XD anyway recipe is up

Aiwethryne

• Cafe Manager
  • Cafe Neighbor
  • Liked: 38
  • Stalker of the Unseelie Court... Laughing at Smut
    • Share Post
    • Illustrious Fathoms
Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 08:18:33 PM
I don't even know what taro bread is... *researches this* Huh... I asked my mom, and she groggily said that she thinks she had heard of it but doesn't remember. Well, Korea town is pretty much growing in my backyard, so maybe I can see it at the store. My dad just said that he knows arrowroot and would be given it from teachers when he was younger.

And, yeah, maybe this thread can be specifically for baked stuff and another thread would be for cooked/fried/other-cooking-term foods~ Ice cream. I love macapuno ube ice cream. Perhaps at some point you can accumulate enough taro-related recipes that you make a taro section. XD
Click for my game codes
(Or go to my forum profile bio)

...REEEAAAAHH.

Share via facebook Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

* Cafe Chat

Refresh History
  • Keyra: it's a shame its no longer active
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:45 AM
  • Keyra: Hi i just rediscovered this again
    November 23, 2023, 12:39:38 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Wow! Can't believe there's still visitors
    August 22, 2023, 12:08:14 AM
  • Lilwyn: Stopping by to say Hello! :)
    August 18, 2023, 05:44:07 AM
  • SushiMartyr: nonetheless, I feel satisfied with the job I’ve done
    June 30, 2023, 03:15:00 PM
  • SushiMartyr: (fr tho, Tomo-kun is my one and only husbando)
    June 30, 2023, 03:14:11 PM
  • SushiMartyr: It doesn’t seem like anyone’s still here, so no one’s probably around to see me defend my best boi from Scarlet Fate xD
    June 30, 2023, 03:13:37 PM
  • SushiMartyr: Hi
    June 30, 2023, 07:20:37 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Hello to anyone who's still here in 2023  :wave:
    March 27, 2023, 03:29:52 AM
  • Godingame: Is there a community somewhere for the cinderella contract?
    March 01, 2022, 07:22:30 AM
  • Sakuragawa: Another new year, it's 2021. Hope everyone is healthy and well.
    March 28, 2021, 07:45:11 PM
  • KoronoChoi: dandelion wishes
    April 18, 2020, 05:04:30 PM
  • Sakuragawa: The last post was from 2018 and now it is 2020... Hello everyone, hope you are well  :rofl:
    January 05, 2020, 07:31:10 AM
  • Amavanna: Hey I'm looking for some Invites for the games I play can you guys add me, my codes are Angel or devil: HwTcTPa4V2 Hero in Love: B9J4rQDvK2 Never look back: Jf7LG1Xq7c Cant say no: GEYDwJpPju Lost island: GijCVsxGSi Mononoke Kiss: LuyDJDxHhG Magic Sword: Kq2heLxqqn
    October 02, 2018, 02:13:37 PM
  • Amavanna: Hey new here everyone doing ok?
    October 02, 2018, 02:00:30 PM
  • Lilwyn: Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I last stopped by, how is everything?
    October 02, 2018, 03:33:45 AM
  • HakuokiScientia: Is there a CG or a walkthrough for Is it love Peter here? Haven't found around when I googled it :(
    October 02, 2018, 01:35:21 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: @harumia Hi! Welcome to KC :) How are you doing?
    September 11, 2018, 02:53:40 PM
  • harumia: Hi hi! I'm fairly new here (tho I've known KC for years). How are you all?
    September 06, 2018, 06:21:03 PM
  • Mortis: destiny ninja touch my heart spin-off walkthrough
    July 26, 2018, 08:11:25 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Thank you! I checked the group's website and found it! I'm so happy I finally find a decent walkthrough ^^
    June 01, 2018, 02:03:59 PM
  • Sakuragawa: @BloodyDagger after a bit of Googling, it seems that a walkthrough should be included should be included with the English patch? The person/group that's making the the patch linked a JP walkthrough too.
    May 31, 2018, 09:20:56 PM
  • BloodyDagger: Hello, i'm new here, does anyone know where I could get a walkthrough for the pc game aniversary no kuni no alice? I've been searching far and wide and I still can't find it ....
    May 31, 2018, 02:17:19 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Ikemen Revolution is out for Android and iOS! [link]
    May 31, 2018, 12:14:47 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:33:14 AM
  • Oichi: code realize
    May 24, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    March 05, 2018, 06:40:42 PM
  • Faith@p: Hii
    March 02, 2018, 12:25:09 PM
  • Faith@p: Hi
    March 02, 2018, 12:24:51 PM
  • Stulluna: Hello, is anyone online?
    March 01, 2018, 03:05:09 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Actually, just to clarify, are you talking about the paid version or the party version?
    February 14, 2018, 05:02:08 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: No, sorry :(
    February 13, 2018, 04:20:20 PM
  • cain0425: if that case is there any tips you could give on getting the super happy ending for the game?
    February 07, 2018, 09:32:37 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Possibly but unlikely anytime soon :(
    February 06, 2018, 01:50:34 PM
  • cain0425: will there ever be update on season 3 or season 4 walkthrough of My Forged Wedding you guys only have up to season 2.
    February 06, 2018, 02:37:51 AM
  • RukiKei: Enchanted in the moonlight
    January 18, 2018, 08:03:36 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Hi!
    January 16, 2018, 06:00:42 PM
  • Emi Nguyen: Hi
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:54 AM
  • Emi Nguyen: Emi Nguyen
    January 05, 2018, 07:51:45 AM
  • kokoro-cafe: Happy Holidays too Sakuragawa!
    December 05, 2017, 02:44:10 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Holidays!  :wave:
    November 23, 2017, 02:47:48 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Made some great memories here and met some nice people.
    November 11, 2017, 03:31:16 AM
  • Sakuragawa: I know it's not Thanksgiving yet, but I want to say that I'm thankful for the existence of KC.  :heart:
    November 11, 2017, 03:29:54 AM
  • angle: hi
    November 05, 2017, 09:55:07 PM
  • Sakuragawa: Happy Halloween ehe
    November 01, 2017, 12:53:05 AM
  • Dawn Skinner: Contract marraige
    September 26, 2017, 08:51:33 PM
  • Satharn: :)
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:31 PM
  • Satharn: Hey there
    September 23, 2017, 07:37:16 PM
  • kokoro-cafe: What game is ths for?